Wednesday 13 February 2013

Playlist #1: Travelling

For me, travelling and music go hand in hand. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I know my iPod will have to be completely up to date before I step out of the house. I start to feel ever-so-slightly apprehensive with fears it will run out of battery or true to form, my headphones will suddenly decide to break halfway through my trip, leaving me unsure of what do to with myself for several hours. The thing I find with travelling is that it gives you the chance to appreciate even the most mundane things with the wonder of a child. Whenever I'm abroad, I find myself taking photos of things I would ordinarily walk past at home, just because it somehow "looks different". I suspect that is the reason so many people end up travelling for years on end, constantly chasing the unknown and unfamiliar.

While looking through my iTunes this evening, I realised there are certain songs that without fail, tend to accompany me on my (often) solo travels. Tomorrow evening, I'll be heading to Leiden in the Netherlands (30 minutes outside of Amsterdam) to visit one of my close friends who's currently studying there on his year abroad. To make it even more long-winded, I have, for reasons unknown, decided to fly from a different city meaning I have a 50 minute coach journey to the airport to contend with first. Fuelled by the excitement of my somewhat spontaneous trip, I made an 8tracks playlist with just a small sample of what I listen while I'm on the move. From the afropop sounds of The Very Best back to Simon & Garfunkel's melancholia, these 8 songs perfectly sum up my travelling experiences so far.




1) The Very Best (feat. Ezra Koenig) - Warm Heart of Africa 
2) Theophilus London (feat. Solange & Dev Hynes) - Flying Overseas 
3) Chromatics - Kill For Love
4) Blonde Redhead - Silently
5) Kurt Vile - Freeway
6) Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy In New York
7) Frank Ocean - Lost
8) Bill Withers - Lovely Day 

No comments:

Post a Comment